Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Solution to the inactive forums?

Solution to the inactive forums? 4 years 10 months ago #4810

• Franku
  • What a life b0ss?
  • Thank you received: 5
Meh why not
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Solution to the inactive forums? 4 years 10 months ago #4811

• Griff
  • The Bloke with the Red Beard
  • Thank you received: 7
We could either do that or start some game events.

Solution to the inactive forums? 4 years 10 months ago #4813

• BRICK
  • Throw me
  • Thank you received: 9
Having more outreach on social media (ex: steam, facebook (already got one.. I think), twitter...) could help (but prolly won't).
Events could also help popularize TS:R's / Timesplitter's community (ex: Friday nights Xlink sessions on ps2, or online via emus (dolphin - would prolly be buggy)).
I think having a Mumble / Discord server would be better than using Skype (sound quality should be better due to less latency), but having a Skype group is a great idea.

TS:R seems to have a steam and facebook group (not sure if the ones I landed on are official) that seem to be as active as the forums. It looks like whenever there's a new announcement, the forums gain a bit of activity, then eventually dies out. It's possible the only thing we can do is wait for the game to be released (complete or in beta) as not everyone has or wants a PS2 (and/or xbox - not sure if Xlink works on xbox) and emulators are buggy in multiplayer (Dolphin has a considerable framerate drop when there's 2 local players and crashes often - not sure if it's my version or PC that's less compatible). So there's not really any way for everybody to enjoy timesplitters online anymore, as people switched over to newer consoles and PCs (and probably sold their PS2s a long time ago).

However, we could always make events where we play other games (and maybe also make TimeSplitters maps/mods for those games (example of games that are easier to mod: DOOM 2 (zandronum), half-life (goldsrc), half-life 2 (source)...)).
I could totally try to re-make streets in DOOM (not DOOM 2016, but the original on Zandronum's source port) and try to port over some weapons... if that's not already done by the time I get to it.
- joined when the most active poster had 303 posts -
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by BRICK.

Solution to the inactive forums? 4 years 10 months ago #4814

• HollowCam
  • First to ever sign up.
  • Thank you received: 17
To be honest, I think the solution to the inactive forums is a lot deeper than community outreach. I think it's an issue with the development of Rewind as a whole. There are a lot of really interesting people producing content for Rewind, yet our updated rate is very little. This is not to say it's a bad thing, but it's pretty plain and simple. People that aren't true dedicated followers don't care about forums, they don't care about discussion, they want content. It would be a defensive lie to say that Pantheonyx has produced a lot of that. This project began in 2012, and we have not received any form of a gameplay video after an extreme amount of promises. This makes people lose hope. I have followed this project since the very beginning and have seen things come and go (first member on the forums). I feel like everybody is just beating around the bush when it comes to their thoughts on this project. People are either too blatant or too defensive. There needs to be more of a presentable system I believe within both the team and the community. Right now there is extremely minimalistic communication between both. When they started their small Wordpress site back in 2013, Michael Hubicka would organize community events between all of the members of the team and the community. This worked well because it gave us a sense of progress and helped to understand that the people working on this project were serious. Now, we lack all of this type of information. After studying game design and working with a couple of different teams, I have seen that this kind of stuff can't really just slip under the cracks. Team's rely on their community, and providing information that is ultimately inaccurate is just a big issue. Hopefully this is something Pantheonyx can work on, or it's even something the members of the community can contribute to. I think in the end, it's something that goes a lot deeper than outreach. I believe overall communication between both the team and the community seems to be limited and we need reparations.
Having more outreach on social media (ex: steam, facebook (already got one.. I think), twitter...) could help (but prolly won't).
Events could also help popularize TS:R's / Timesplitter's community

There is a @TheTimeSplittersFans twitter page, but it has only been used once this year. The Facebook is updated mostly. Steam is irregular. Lots of things in general are kind of mixed. Sometimes the Facebook will get posted then there will be lag on the site or vice versa. Sometimes no Facebook post at all. There should be some kind of replicable post that just gets pasted on every social media.

I personally think it's kind of frustrating that the lead environment artists are taking most of the control of the community. Not because I don't want them to do it, but because they have more going on and it would probably just be easier for them to get a community manager like Daniel Wesoly once was.

Anyways, that's mostly all I have to say about this. If anyone wants to contact me about it feel free to send a PM or keep the discussion here, or whatever. Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ASneakyGranny

Solution to the inactive forums? 4 years 9 months ago #4823

• MintyTwister
  • i need the memes to survive
There should also be a Discord group as well for those who prefer Discord.

I tried searching, doesn't seem anyone else made one unless the search filter is more specific needing than I thought..

Here's a permanent link: discord.gg/tfW3Nux

Right now making the server better
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by MintyTwister. Reason: Permenant link

Solution to the inactive forums? 4 years 9 months ago #4825

• HollowCam
  • First to ever sign up.
  • Thank you received: 17
I noticed that MintyTwister removed his Discord group, so I went ahead and made a new one:

discord.gg/011IGVlsFa3mSvaQj

Feel free to join!
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by HollowCam.

Solution to the inactive forums? 4 years 9 months ago #4836

• MintyTwister
Yeah; I'm not sure what happened, a lot of what I had on Discord poofed. It's fixed and I fixed the link. I think someone joined and sent me a FR, but my Discord was being a butthole, so dunno what happened with that either, oh well.

I also want to figure out how to get people who join to play emulated TimeSplitters together on PC, dunno what to use yet for that though.
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by MintyTwister.

Solution to the inactive forums? 4 years 8 months ago #4867

• Dethwish-2401
Id be interested in playing an emulated version of a TS game if any of the emulators have internet support and can support the game with minimal bugs, not sure how servers work for things like that.
I have not used a ps2 emulator in years so hopefully they work better now, they were terrible a number of years ago.

Solution to the inactive forums? 4 years 7 months ago #4917

• MintyTwister
Dolphin Emulator can use Netplay for online play on TimeSplitters 2 and 3, you'd need a GameCube version of TimeSplitters, though.

Solution to the inactive forums? 4 years 7 months ago #4918

• Dethwish-2401
That would be fine, don't think it would be a big difference in performance if its emulated, everyone would have to download the same thing though.
  • Page:
Moderators: ASneakyGranny
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds