Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: FRD's Demise: HaZe,TS4 & SWB3

FRD's Demise: HaZe,TS4 & SWB3 6 years 6 months ago #2930

• Griff
  • The Bloke with the Red Beard
  • Thank you received: 7
Before Free Radical Design went into administration in 2009, they were developing the latest instalment in the Star Wars: Battlefront series for LucasArts.

Last week, BananaSwag from YouTube uploaded 30 minutes of Star Wars: Battlefront 3 footage from the 2007 pre-alpha build. It's a shame that it got cancelled.

Part One

Part Two

Here's why it got cancelled

"I made GoldenEye, don't you know?"
Last Edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Griff.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

FRD's Demise: HaZe,TS4 & SWB3 6 years 6 months ago #2931

• Davik Heragon
  • Professional kinda sarcastic guy at your service.
  • Thank you received: 13
I saw the 2 video's about half an hour ago and I must say, I like Star Wars and this did look good even for an pre-alpha, so I am kinda disappointed, but also anxious for the new Star Wars Battlefront.
A different meaning of a word can make a discussion go on and on...

FRD's Demise: HaZe,TS4 & SWB3 6 years 6 months ago #2933

• ASneakyGranny
  • Time Crystal Meth
  • Thank you received: 36
Star Wars Battlefront is one of those games with great replay value and it's certainly an excellent title from the previous gen. FRD's Battlefront looked beautiful and, had it have been completed, would probably have kept them in business. It's a shame that they focused on Haze and then completely changed what they were doing with it half way through which let a lot of people down and that ultimately bankrupt them. Dice & EA have a lot to live up to and I swear to god if they make it like Battlefield then I'm never playing/buying one of their games again. From what I've seen so far, the graphics look out of this world and the gameplay looks top notch. I'm excited for this game but also terrified as I don't want a beloved game such as Battlefront to be ruined. Good luck, Dice, you've got a lot to live up to.
Outnumbered but never Outgunned.

FRD's Demise: HaZe,TS4 & SWB3 6 years 6 months ago #2935

• Davik Heragon
  • Professional kinda sarcastic guy at your service.
  • Thank you received: 13
Well Battlefront was originally based on Battlefield in many ways. It had a different style and the settings were a bit different, but it mostly resembles (old) Battlefield. I do get what you mean and I too hope they won't make the game a buggy mess.
A different meaning of a word can make a discussion go on and on...
Last Edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Davik Heragon.

FRD's Demise: HaZe,TS4 & SWB3 6 years 6 months ago #2937

• Headsprouter
  • "That mine cart was pretty fun, huh?"
  • Thank you received: 16
You know what's a real shame?

Never shoulda happened. Silly Free Radical was trying too hard for the release title sales.

I'm learning now that it did not just stop a game which I wanted to see, but an instalment in the Battlefront series? Another well-loved franchise?

Maybe if they didn't make HAZE (*thunderclap*) AND Lucasarts didn't have such douchey business practices, FR would still be around...

Then again, HAZE shows FR didn't have the best business practices either. It doesn't matter if the game comes out on release, silly, it still has to be good for people to buy it!

"Nothing to shoot at? Group hug!"

FRD's Demise: HaZe,TS4 & SWB3 6 years 6 months ago #2938

• ASneakyGranny
  • Time Crystal Meth
To be fair to FRD, Haze was meant to be on all consoles, not PS3. Ultimately a fat pay check from sony did this. Even though the game was dreadful, if it had have been released on all console then they would likely be still in business as the game was hyped like hell and people would be more inclined to purchase a copy if the game on the cheaper consoles. (I recall originals PS3s costing something around £600) Like I said previously, FRD changed the entire concept of Haze half way through development which pissed a lot of people off resulting in bad reviews of the game and people simply not purchasing it and that's the reason why this game which was supposed to revolutionise FPS' failed unfortunately.

RIP in Pepperoni, Free Radical.
1 like = 1 Haribo
420AD-2401AC/DC

P.S ~ Good luck to Deep Silver & their newly acquired Dambusters Studios. Here's to hoping that Deep Silver purchase the TimeSplitters IP as it seems like the type of game they'd make.
Last Edit: 6 years 6 months ago by ASneakyGranny.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Headsprouter

FRD's Demise: HaZe,TS4 & SWB3 6 years 6 months ago #2942

• Headsprouter
  • "That mine cart was pretty fun, huh?"
  • Thank you received: 16
ASneakyGranny wrote:
To be fair to FRD, Haze was meant to be on all consoles, not PS3. Ultimately a fat pay check from sony did this. Even though the game was dreadful, if it had have been released on all console then they would likely be still in business as the game was hyped like hell and people would be more inclined to purchase a copy if the game on the cheaper consoles. (I recall originals PS3s costing something around £600) Like I said previously, FRD changed the entire concept of Haze half way through development which pissed a lot of people off resulting in bad reviews of the game and people simply not purchasing it and that's the reason why this game which was supposed to revolutionise FPS' failed unfortunately.

RIP in Pepperoni, Free Radical.
1 like = 1 Haribo
420AD-2401AC/DC

P.S ~ Good luck to Deep Silver & their newly acquired Dambusters Studios. Here's to hoping that Deep Silver purchase the TimeSplitters IP as it seems like the type of game they'd make.

I expected this kind of reply, in fact, I hoped for one. Now I know the full story behind HAZE without having to do any research myself! :P

Obligatory:

"Nothing to shoot at? Group hug!"

FRD's Demise: HaZe,TS4 & SWB3 6 years 4 months ago #3365

• warezIbanez
  • Developer
  • Thank you received: 34
Ugh, I wish I didn't see this thread.

I can go off about what happened six years ago. I believe it'll be in five days that six years ago the studio had to shut down because of Lucasarts.

FRD's Demise: HaZe,TS4 & SWB3 6 years 4 months ago #3368

• ASneakyGranny
  • Time Crystal Meth
Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.
warezIbanez wrote:
Ugh, I wish I didn't see this thread.

I can go off about what happened six years ago. I believe it'll be in five days that six years ago the studio had to shut down because of Lucasarts.

I remember the very day FRD went into administration. It felt like my childhood had been destroyed within a matter of minutes. The sad thing is is that FRD were almost done with Battlefront. Had LucasArts have let them continue their work then there's no doubt FRD would still be making games.
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by ASneakyGranny.

FRD's Demise: HaZe,TS4 & SWB3 6 years 3 months ago #3431

• Griff
  • The Bloke with the Red Beard
  • Thank you received: 7
I was beyond shocked when I heard the news. This was the same studio that made my all-time favorite game, and like you said, if they were given more time to finish off Battlefront 3, we'd all probably be playing TimeSplitters 4 right now.
  • Page:
Moderators: ASneakyGranny
Time to create page: 0.240 seconds