Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Game Development Project!

Game Development Project! 6 years 2 months ago #2950

• ASneakyGranny
  • Time Crystal Meth
  • Thank you received: 36
HollowCam/RED, are you guys still working on this project or have you abandoned it?
Outnumbered but never Outgunned.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Game Development Project! 6 years 2 months ago #2951

• HollowCam
  • First to ever sign up.
  • Thank you received: 17
HollowCam/RED, are you guys still working on this project or have you abandoned it?

-ASneakyGranny

Wow, I had no idea anyone was legitimately curious about this.

Well in an effort to procastinate on my homework, I will say, that we actually did sort of in a way abandon it for a while. It was very on and off basically, however as of a few days ago, we have started the project back up entirely and are getting into the full swing of things. We made an engine switch however to the Unreal Engine 4, so we are trying to get used to the engine.

In case you are curious I am working on a map right now, and I drew a quick concept and started blocking out (untextured solids) the map:

Game Development Project! 6 years 2 months ago #2955

• ASneakyGranny
  • Time Crystal Meth
It was Cryengine you were using before, right? How difficult was using it compared to the Unreal Engine?

Game Development Project! 6 years 2 months ago #2966

• HollowCam
  • First to ever sign up.
It was Cryengine you were using before, right? How difficult was using it compared to the Unreal Engine?

Entirely correct, we were indeed using the Cryengine.

Honestly for a level designer, Cryengine is the best engine I could ever ask for. The solid tools are fantastic and allow you to pretty much model within the engine itself.

I loved everything about the tools in the Cryengine. The problem is, everything else about it. The animation tools, the flowgraph system, the coding and etc.

I honestly want to use the Cryengine, and we got quite a bit of work done in that engine, but it's selfish for us to want to stay on that engine in a lot of ways, because it screws over everyone else besides the level designers.

Unreal Engine 4 is better for everything on the planet, except for it's BSP tools pretty much; the geometry editing tools aren't as flexible as Cryengines edit tool.

I think the only real delay in this game was the fact that the first engine I ever used was the Cryengine, and I got really good with that, and switching engines caused a lot of trouble because I was deprived of a lot of tools I had grown used to. In fact I recreated the Mall level from Timesplitters 1 entirely in Cryengine 3, without any imports of any kind; something that would be impossible with Unreal Engine 4 practically.

Game Development Project! 6 years 1 month ago #3235

I love this website! I would really like it if you guys made a little tutorial on the basics on how to make a map! I'm a young developer,(I'm 14) but I think it would really help us young people understand the cryengine. I can play time splitters 2 on my phone!!! Lol love it ❤. But I would really love a tutorial because I've been wanting to make games ever since I first played time splitters ... I've been using the cryengine once in a while but I don't really understand how to like.... Make a house like the bunkers in training ground. And I really want to get in to this kind of stuff, but it takes a little more then skrewing around with the cry engine to fully understand it, please make a tutorial just the basics on how to make little things would be good!

Contact me!
FB: Austin limanen(TS monkey as my pic)

Game Development Project! 6 years 1 month ago #3236

• HollowCam
  • First to ever sign up.
Please make a tutorial just the basics on how to make little things would be good!

I used to make tutorials all the time, I would have no problem making a basic tutorial on the CryEngine 3. No guarantee it will happen, but I will try to see if I can make a basic tutorial. I will post it here I suppose if I have the chance to.

Game Development Project! 6 years 1 month ago #3237

• sharkgun
  • Wielding Dual MGs like a boss
  • Thank you received: 54
❤❤TS❤❤ wrote:
I love this website! I would really like it if you guys made a little tutorial on the basics on how to make a map! I'm a young developer,(I'm 14) but I think it would really help us young people understand the cryengine. I can play time splitters 2 on my phone!!! Lol love it ❤. But I would really love a tutorial because I've been wanting to make games ever since I first played time splitters ... I've been using the cryengine once in a while but I don't really understand how to like.... Make a house like the bunkers in training ground. And I really want to get in to this kind of stuff, but it takes a little more then skrewing around with the cry engine to fully understand it, please make a tutorial just the basics on how to make little things would be good!

Contact me!
FB: Austin limanen(TS monkey as my pic)

Hi Austin,

3d objects are not created in game engines but in 3d modeling tools like 3ds max, Maya, zBrush, Mudbox, Modo, Blender, etc and then imported into the engine. In order to create a map/game you need to be able to create 3d models of the objects you want in the game. So your tools of trade should be your engine of choice, a 3d modeling program, an image editing software like Gimp, Photoshop, etc. and a lot of patience.

Check out polycount and other CG websites to learn more and hone your skills.
Known as XUnit's guest and SV SHARKGUN on TSFP (PS2)
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by sharkgun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HollowCam

Game Development Project! 6 years 1 month ago #3238

• HollowCam
  • First to ever sign up.
3d objects are not created in game engines but in 3d modeling tools.

Very true, however just to point this out to people that aren't fully aware, Cryengine 3 has a great set of BSP tools built into the engine that allow you to make a lot of objects. Some engines support great tools like that, but if you want to get really fine and small details you will need a separate program like what Sharkgun said, 3DS Max, Maya etc.

Game Development Project! 6 years 1 month ago #3264

• HollowCam
  • First to ever sign up.
Hello <3<3TS<3<3,

Just figured I'd let you know that I have made a 20 minute-ish long tutorial going over the basics of Cryengine 3 as far as level design goes. Although it is usually recommended to make 3d models in other programs such as 3DS Max and Maya and all, there are many ways to construct geometry within the engine which is what the tutorial covers. The video will have to render overnight since it is a 40GB video file, so you will most likely see it up on 12/2/2014 at roughly 2:00pm or so.

Just figured I'd give you an update. Hope it covers enough of what you are looking for! I will post the video itself tomorrow, but regardless my youtube channel (where it will be posted) is HollowCam!

-Cameron/HollowCam

Game Development Project! 6 years 1 month ago #3271

• ASneakyGranny
  • Time Crystal Meth
HollowCam wrote:
Hello <3<3TS<3<3,

Just figured I'd let you know that I have made a 20 minute-ish long tutorial going over the basics of Cryengine 3 as far as level design goes. Although it is usually recommended to make 3d models in other programs such as 3DS Max and Maya and all, there are many ways to construct geometry within the engine which is what the tutorial covers. The video will have to render overnight since it is a 40GB video file, so you will most likely see it up on 12/2/2014 at roughly 2:00pm or so.

Just figured I'd give you an update. Hope it covers enough of what you are looking for! I will post the video itself tomorrow, but regardless my youtube channel (where it will be posted) is HollowCam!

-Cameron/HollowCam

Very informative tutorial, HollowCam. Thank you for sharing! :)
Moderators: ASneakyGranny
Time to create page: 0.631 seconds